It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to kingdomofthedivinefrostlords

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. While we appreciate this, we would also love to have you join our community.

Why not register today?

Regards, Josh89

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: System Error [PMOnly] [T]
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
sonezaki_masaki (administrator) [18:07] : guys we have a big problem

takahashi_mayumi (administrator) [18:09] : no kidding! it's complete chaos over here!

matsushita_mizuki (administrator) has logged on [18:10]

matsushita_mizuki (administrator) [18:11] : uh, yeah, "big problem" is a bit of an understatement, bill.

matsushita_mizuki (administrator) [18:11] : did I ever tell you that some idiot caught a heatran? because it's currently climbing the contest hall. down the street. it's quite loud.

amanita_shepard (administrator) has logged on [18:15]

amanita_shepard (administrator) [18:15] : uh, guys, is this a problem all over, or is it just a Unova problem?

amanita_shepard (administrator) [18:16] : oh, yeah, defs all over

sonezaki_masaki (administrator) [18:17] : i think we're being attacked. the av didn't pick anything up, but we haven't rolled out any updates, so i don't know what else it could be. i'm running a full system files check and some malware scans, but...

takahashi_mayumi (administrator) [18:18] brigette's working on trying to stabilize the system on our end. if we can manage a patch, we'll send it on.

matsushita_mizuki (administrator) [18:19] : yeah, I've got hayley helping out over here. still trying to contact cassius and molayne tho. no telling what the conditions are over there.

amanita_shepard (administrator) [18:20] : Fennel's on her way, we'll keep you guys updated.

To: System Administrators, Azusa T., Fennel P., Nishiki U., Yukari K.

I've been in communication with the Ranger Union's head of IT, and here's the email they sent me. We're currently trying to get approval from the Chairperson to get the Stylers' current firmware sent over so we can rip the code apart and see if anything will help us get this fixed. We're still not sure why the Stylers are nullifying the effects, but Rangers are being dispatched to take care of the situation, so we've got a little more time than we thought.

I'm calling a video conference tomorrow at noon my time. Figure out your timezones, and please be awake. I want progress updates from everyone, and there's a bigger problem we have to address. I still haven't been able to reach Champion Kris or Champion Red, and if any of you have fared better, please pass along whatever you found out.

Begin forwarded message:

To: [email protected]

Hello Mr. Sonezaki,

As I'm sure you've heard by now, our Rangers have managed to stabilize some of the Pokémon affected by the system error using their Stylers, and we're currently doing our own research to find out why. We would love to work with you, but I understand your concerns about leaving the region. As I understand it, your colleague, Bebe, is operating in Sinnoh, so if you could pass along this email, we'd like to invite her to the Ranger Union HQ to go over some of the more sensitive material that we can't transmit electronically.

Unfortunately, I've spoken to Chairperson Erma, and she is hesitant to send any of our source code or schematics to you. We've had our designs leaked in the past, and while I'm sure there's no better hands to have them in than yours, the Chairperson doesn't share this sentiment. I'll see about changing her mind, but until then, if Bebe could come over to Almia, we might be able to at least show her the hard copies.

If there's anything else I can help with, please feel free to send my contact information to your colleagues. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best,
Vatona S.
Ranger Union Technology Researcher and Head of IT

PC Storage failure has bigger consequences than speculated
Akiko Hisakawa, Jubilife TV
May 1, 2017 2:56 PM

Most regions' Champions are currently under fire for what many see as "irresponsible conduct," and the debate continues over the legality and morality of capturing the Legendary Pokémon.

Early Sunday morning, when most of Sinnoh was still asleep, a critical error in the Pokémon Storage System, also known as the PC Storage System, caused chaos across the region as Pokémon stored in Poké Balls or the online storage system were all simultaneously thrown into what experts are calling a sort of limbo.

Since the incident, which head system administrator Masaki "Bill" Sonezaki, and our own regional administrator Mizuki "Bebe" Matsushita have both given their statements on, it has been revealed that several Champions from around the world have been using the Storage System to hold several Legendary Pokémon that they have acquired. Legendary Pokémon are those classified as being of a sufficient rarity, as well as fulfilling a number of other criteria as determined by a qualified panel of scientists every few years.

The concerns of Legendary Pokémon being used in battle by trainers have already been addressed by many major circuits, with facilities like the Hearthome Contest Hall and the Battle Frontier banning the usage of most Legendary Pokémon in the interest of safety for the participants. Some are still allowed, though only those deemed of a low enough strength that neither the safety of those involved nor the integrity of the battle would be compromised.

The one major battle institution that has yet to weigh in on the debate is the Pokémon League, the world's largest organized institution for Pokémon battling. In the wake of the recent system error with the Pokémon Storage System, it has come to light that many League Champions have several Legendary Pokémon in their possession, typically stored in the PC.

While no one, to date, has ever used a Legendary Pokémon in a battle for a League title, such as to become one of the Elite 4 or Champion, the question remains as to whether it is acceptable for a member of the League, or a challenger hoping to become one, to possess Legendary Pokémon. With no regulations in place, there would be nothing stopping them from adding one of these Pokémon to their roster. According to most other battle institutions, this would constitute "a severe safety risk, and an unfair advantage over other trainers, which is grounds for disqualification." Most institutions' policy dictates that the rarity of the Pokémon entered must be below a certain tier, to allow any trainer an equal chance to obtain one for use, and for many Legendary Pokémon, this disqualifies most from competing in sanctioned tournaments.

In addition to the backlash from trainers, several organizations have protested the possession of Legendary Pokémon on moral grounds. Many claim that these Pokémon, due to their rarity and unique needs, should be left alone, or held in conservatories if needed. They claim that capturing the Legendary Pokémon is harmful to the Pokémon and its natural habitat. For many of these species, there exist only one or two in the entire world, at any given time. A petition demanding the release of these Pokémon has already started circulating online, and none of the Champions, who seem to be the worst offenders when it comes to possession of Legendary Pokémon, have made an official statement.

More you might like:
Pokémon Storage System Error causes chaos across the regions
Head Administrator comments on the Storage System critical error
Storage System error likely due to cyberattack

Post subject: Re: System Error [PMOnly] [T]
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:35 pm 

Premise:

Early Sunday morning, a cyberattack on the Pokémon Storage System network caused any Pokémon stored in a Poké Ball or in the PC to be caught in limbo between materializing after storage and dematerializing for storage, causing them to become highly unstable and erratically dematerialize, being transported all over the region where they were being stored before the incident.

So far, efforts to stop the effects of the attack have been unsuccessful. The team of administrators running the PC system have been unable to rollback the program code to before the attack, nor have they been able to trace the attack to its source. The only solution that has presented itself so far is to capture the Pokémon with a Ranger's Styler, though nobody really knows why this is. It's a very temporary solution, and putting the Pokémon back into its Poké Ball will reverse the effect and send it back into limbo.

Most battle facilities (Contest Halls, Gyms, Battle Frontiers, etc.) have been shut down until the problem can be solved. People have lost track of their Pokémon, and finding them is near impossible until they stop teleporting all over the place.

In the wake of the incident, the fact that the Champions and other trainers have Legendary Pokémon in their possession has come to light, and many aren't taking the news well.

For plot purposes, we are going to operate under the assumption that the following games occurred in the following order: Pokémon Yellow, Pokémon Crystal, Pokémon AlphaSapphire, Pokémon Platinum, Pokémon White, Pokémon White 2, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Moon. The only exceptions are that in the case of AlphaSapphire, Y, and Moon, both titular Legendary Pokémon were awakened, and therefore were captured by their respective characters.

Sign-Up:

If you want to sign up, PM me the following character sheet, filled out for your character, using the code tags so I can easily copy/paste it into the character list:

Name: Your character's first and last name.
Gender: What gender your character identifies as. If you want to specify pronouns, include them here.
Appearance: Either a description or a picture will do. Try to be descriptive.
Personality: Again, try to be descriptive. I'll expect 2-3 sentences minimum.
History: I expect 3-5 sentences minimum.
Role: Trainer, coordinator, Ranger, etc.
Pokémon: Only those on hand. The only ones allowed are those your character does not keep in a Poké Ball and has never put in the PC Storage System, such as a Ranger's Partner Pokémon, or a Pokémon rescued for them by a Ranger. List out all of them if they have a lot on hand. All. Of. Them.
Other: Anything you want to include that doesn't fit neatly into the above categories

Spoiler:
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Pokémon:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

Rules:
  • Normal forum rules apply
  • Please use proper role play etiquette
  • Only canon Pokémon from the video games up through Gen VII are allowed. This means that Pokémon exclusive to the anime, such as Crystal Onix, are not allowed, and any fan Pokémon such as fusions or alternate evolutions not established in-game are also not allowed.
  • Legendary Pokémon are not allowed to be owned at the beginning of the role play, as they are currently in the possession of the various Champions/past Champions. Later in the role play, I have plans for this to change, and Legendaries will be distributed at my discretion. This will occur after a certain plot point is resolved. If you would like to interact with one before then, however, feel free. They're teleporting all over. Go for it.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:00 pm 

Prominent Characters: (Under construction bc I accidentally hit submit too early oops.)
Click here if you want to skip this post and go to the list of player characters.

Pokémon Storage System Administrative Team:

Masaki Sonezaki (a.k.a. Bill)
Spoiler:
Widely regarded as the creator of the Pokémon Storage System, Masaki Sonezaki has taken the brunt of the backlash from the incident. His efforts to stop the ongoing cyberattack and restore everyone's Pokémon to them have been unsuccessful. He is the de facto leader of the team working to end this crisis. He is currently in Kanto trying to at least isolate the code affected by the attack so he can go about finding a workaround.

Mayumi Takahashi (a.k.a. Lanette)
Spoiler:
Mayumi Takahashi is responsible for upgrading Masaki's existing user interface to make it more user-friendly, which also increased the popularity of the network among trainers. She is currently in Hoenn, focusing on damage control. She's been helping Masaki with his work when she can, though she often leaves the code work to her sister, Azusa.

Mizuki Matsushita (a.k.a. Bebe)
Spoiler:
Mizuki worked independently for years, developing her own storage network with a more refined user interface and expanded features compared to Masaki's. In time, however, she and Masaki decided to merge their networks, to take advantage of Masaki's greater resources and Mizuki's improved designs and regional popularity. As such, Mizuki was already well-accustomed to media attention and was put in charge of placating the press while the others work behind the scenes. Her close friend Yukari is helping her out.

Amanita Shepard
Spoiler:
Amanita also developed her own Pokémon storage system, and following Masaki's merge with Mizuki's network,she approached him about potentially doing the same with her own network. Following the merge, a lot of new users signed up in Unova, and given the physical distance between Unova and the regions using Masaki's network, the media portrayed it as a much harder task than it was, leading to wild popularity for the storage system. Amanita tends to remind people that it really wasn't that big of an achievement.

Cassius Chastain
Spoiler:
Cassius is an old friend of Bill's who was tasked with setting up an extension of Bill's storage network in Kalos, as the first big extension of the network beyond the Kanto/Johto area, and not a merge with another existing network. He took the job very seriously and had almost no problems setting it up. He isn't quite as well-known as the others working on the project, which is somewhat due to his image. He's working more behind-the-scenes on trying to stabilize the system.

Molayne Bentley
Spoiler:
Molayne might run the PC network in Alola, but he really didn't play a big role in setting it up. He was contacted by Masaki to oversee the network once it was set up, and while he is a skilled programmer, he's had other responsibilities over the years that have divided his attention. Right now, he's working with Mizuki to keep the press happy, though he will offer his coding skills if necessary.

Pokémon Storage System Assistant Researchers:

Azusa Takahashi (a.k.a. Brigette)
Spoiler:
Azusa is Mayumi's older sister, and she was responsible for expanding on Masaki and Mayumi's code to make the storage system more efficient, making it possible to hold many more Pokémon than was previously possible. Together with her sister, she succeeded in getting more trainers to use the PC for storage, though her sister is more often than not accredited with this accomplishment. She is doing most of the work on the code with Masaki to try and find a fix for the situation.

Yukari Kimura (a.k.a. Hayley)
Spoiler:
Yukari is a close friend of Mizuki's, and while she is a skilled programmer, she prefers to stay out of the spotlight and will instead do a lot of behind-the-scenes maintenance for Mizuki. She was instrumental in getting Mizuki's original storage system up and running, and she helped out during the merge with Masaki's network. Mizuki called her in to help her with the coding aspect of the response to the cyberattack while she did the work with the media.

Nishiki Ueda (a.k.a. Celio)
Spoiler:
Nishiki is a friend of Masaki's, and he helped Masaki and Mayumi link their networks once Mayumi had finished her upgrades to the system. He was called in to help defend against the cyberattack to keep things from getting worse. He's currently staying with Bill in Kanto.

Fennel Plummer
Spoiler:
Fennel had her own research that involved the transfer of Pokémon between the Dream World and the real world, so she took a few pages from her eventual roommate Amanita's book and modified the transfer technology to suit her purposes. When the cyberattack happened, Amanita called in Fennel to see if she could modify it again to apply an emergency fix. Fennel was unable to stop the effects, but she's been working to isolate the portion of code responsible for the incident.

Ranger Union:

Chairperson Sasako "Erma" Tsukuda
Spoiler:
Chairperson Erma, as she is known in the professional world, is the head of the Ranger Union, and currently the top authority-- and therefore the top decision-maker-- in the organization. She has weathered many attacks and disasters in her days as chairperson, and she truly has the Ranger Union and the people under its protection's best interests at heart. She is hesitant to bring in the assistance of an outside organization, but she understands the need to collaborate on the issue and is doing her best to facilitate that. She remains in the Ranger Union HQ in Almia.

Vatona and Nage Stubborn
Spoiler:
(So, uh, there's no pictures available for the brothers, and I couldn't so much as find their Japanese names. I tried. Sorry.)
(Also, let it be known that Vatona and Nage are the only characters in this whole role play except Bill who have a canon last name, and it's Stubborn. ._. That is all.)
Vatona is one of the top scientists in the Ranger Union's research and development division, and as the older brother, he heads both R&D and the IT department at the Ranger Union. Nage is his second-in-command,and together they've developed much of the recent Stylers for the Ranger Union. Because their newest model Styler is somehow able to counteract the effects on the Pokémon stored in the PC, Vatona and Nage have been assigned the task of helping restore the PC Storage System.

Pokémon League:

Champion Red
Spoiler:
One of the most famous champions to ever achieve the title in the Indigo League, Red stepped down from the position after two years, and it was given temporarily to Champion Lance until a challenger could succeed him. He recently returned from a trip to Alola, just in time for the PC Storage System to fail. He was the first champion to really acknowledge that yes, he was in possession of a Legendary Pokémon.
Legendary Pokémon currently under his ownership: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo.

Champion Blue
Spoiler:
Champion Blue is best known for having the shortest run as Champion in history. His championship lasted for exactly 34 minutes before he was succeeded by Red. He is currently running the Viridian City Gym, though out of respect he is still referred to as a Champion, as all past Champions are. When asked, he did admit to having a Mew under his care, though he didn't see as much backlash as Red did.
Legendary Pokémon currently under his ownership: Mew.

Champion Kris
Spoiler:
Champion Kris, from Johto, is the current Indigo League Champion, having defeated the interim Champion Lance after Champion Red stepped down from his position. Kris is regarded almost as highly as Red, as she was responsible for finally bringing Team Rocket down for good, following Red's defeat of their boss Giovanni.
Kris has admitted to having a few Legendary Pokémon, though she will not reveal who currently has the ones not under her care.
Legendary Pokémon currently under her ownership: Lugia, Ho-Oh, Suicune, Celebi

Champion May
Spoiler:
Champion May is the reigning Hoenn League Champion. She tends to keep a low profile, but it came to light that, after the incidents with Team Aqua and Magma, and later the meteor threat, May had captured Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza. She admitted to catching those, but she hasn't mentioned the others she has.
Legendary Pokémon currently under her ownership: Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Deoxys.

Champion Lucas
Spoiler:
Champion Lucas is the current Sinnoh League Champion, having defeated Champion Cynthia after the two of them worked together to take down Team Galactic. Lucas released a statement explaining that he did capture Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina, but it was in the interest of calming them down and preventing harm to them or the people of Sinnoh, and he has never, nor does he intend to, use them in battle. He doesn't even keep them in their Poké Balls most of the time, so that they're free to return to their own dimensions at will.
Legendary Pokémon currently under his ownership: Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Regigigas.

Champion Cynthia
Spoiler:
Former Sinnoh League Champion Cynthia has kept out of the media since she relinquished her title to Lucas, and she has not been approached yet about whether or not she has caught any Legendary Pokémon. This is mostly due to her almost uncanny ability to be on the other side of the planet whenever someone tries to arrange an interview. She only recently returned to Sinnoh following a trip to Alola. She has taken a few Legendary Pokémon into her care in the interest of keeping them out of the hands of people like Team Galactic, who still haven't been fully shut down yet, but like Lucas, she usually lets them go about their own lives outside of their Poké Balls.
Legendary Pokémon currently under her ownership: Heatran, Cresselia, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf

Champion Hilda
Spoiler:
Former Unova Champion Hilda did not hold her title for very long before Champion Iris succeeded her. Champion Hilda has said in interviews that she didn't always want to be the Champion, and was considering stepping down before Iris challenged her. She only challenged the League because she needed to, in order to defeat Team Plasma, and felt that finishing the League challenge was the obvious next step. Once she had earned the title,she wasn't sure she wanted to keep it, and considered stepping down as Red did, leaving the League to one of the Elite 4. It was well-known that she had been chosen by Zekrom as part of defeating Team Plasma, but nobody actually knew that she kept it. She was so well-regarded, though, that a big fuss wasn't really made. She hasn't made it known that she has other Legendary Pokémon, though.
Legendary Pokémon currently under her ownership: Zekrom, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus,

Champion Nate
Spoiler:

Legendary Pokémon currently under his ownership: Reshiram, Kyurem, Cobalion, Virizion, Terrakion

Champion Serena
Spoiler:

Legendary Pokémon currently under her ownership: Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde,

Champion Selene
Spoiler:

Legendary Pokémon currently under her ownership: Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:06 pm 

Player-Controlled Characters:

hashtag-anthems:

Spoiler:
Name: Leon Bennett
Appearance: A tall, muscular young man, with deep tan skin, dark brown eyes, and hair of the same color. When he isn't wearing his Ranger's uniform, he prefers clothes that fit loosely, like sweatpants and oversized hoodies. Most of the time, however, he's wearing his uniform, which consists of a red, cropped jacket over a black t-shirt, red knee-length shorts, and red-and-white hiking boots. He keeps his hair shoulder-length and it's usually pulled back into a short ponytail to keep it out of his face in the field.
Personality: Leon is a very determined young man, and he rarely gives up on anything once he's set his mind to it. He likes to see things through to their conclusions. He's generally a very upbeat person. He has a deep sense of compassion.
History: Leon grew up in Alola, though he moved between the islands pretty frequently. He knew from a young age that he wanted to do something in life that involved helping people. His only Pokémon when he was growing up was his Pichu, which he didn't keep in a Poké Ball because he didn't want to be a trainer. He decided to become a Pokémon Ranger after seeing on the news how the Rangers repeatedly ended up saving their regions. He was in Almia, training at the Ranger School during Team Dim Sun's attack, though he hadn't graduated yet when the tower went live and hypnotized all the Pokémon in the region. He tried to get assigned to Oblivia during that crisis, given the proximity to his home region, but he got passed over for Summer and Ben. He did manage to work his way up to the rank of Top Ranger in Almia, just by generally keeping the peace there, but this is his first big assignment since he became a Ranger.
Role: Top Ranger
Pokémon: His only Pokémon is his partner Pokémon, Alolan Raichu, though he can capture Pokémon with his Styler to temporarily have them assist him in the field.
Other: He earned the nickname "Lightning Ranger" because he's an almost ridiculously fast runner. He kept the nickname because it complimented his partner Pokémon.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC